Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Josiah Sills

Josiah was the son of Isham and Anna Sills. He was born circa, 1794 in Halifax county North Carolina. First records of him being in Stewart county is on the 13th of September 1826 when he received a land grant of 50 acres on Neville Creek. Josiah then purchased an additional 125 acres from Nathaniel Parker on the 3rd day of January, 1827 for 125 dollars.
At some point Josiah married Winny Fox. There is no record of this, but my mother said that that was her name. I have found a record were Josiah Sills was noted as a buyer at an estate sale for a Samuel Fox in May of 1832. This lends credit to my mothers assertion that Winny was Josiah's wife. I believe that Samuel was Winny's father. It is noted in the record that she was one of the buyers along with Orville Champion, William Sills, Joshua Spiceland, Hardy B. Sills, Henry Bell, John W. Hicks, Briant Outland and Irey Belile.
Note: John W. Hicks was present at this sale. We have been told that John. W. (Wesley) Hicks was James Madison Hick's father. Could this be him?
Josiah continued to make land transactions in Stewart county until 1847 when Josiah died. Josiah had no will, so his property went to probate on March 1, 1847. Although there were several children tallied in the census for his household in 1840, only the name of one child is known and that is my gr gr grandmother Parthena Sills, the women whom married James Madison Hicks. If only Josiah could have lived through till the 1850 census; when names of household members began being listed, then we would know so much more about this family.
I have heard a few stories from my mother about Parthena that my mother said her mother told her. I will share them with you when I write about Parthena.
I have traced the Sills family back many generations, but the questions at hand are: Who were Josiah Sills other children? What happened to Winny Sills? Was Samuel Fox, Winny's father?

No comments:

Post a Comment