Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lillian Lorena Smith, Part 7


A few weeks later we found a small apartment in Payette. Jerry was still working in the honey factory, and I had gotten a job in the same nursing home that his stepmother worked. At night Jerry and I would cook supper together and spend the evening talking. Our life was like a fairy tale.
A few weeks later I started waking up sick at my stomach every morning. We didn’t know what was wrong. Finally I went to the doctor, and he told me that I was pregnant. Jerry finally got up enough nerve to call his mother to let her know that we were married, and that he was going to be a father. His mother wanted us to come back to Oklahoma, so we did. We didn’t have much money, I was sick the whole way, but we made it.
Jerry Don McConnell Jr. was born on May 28th 1965 less than one month from his father’s birthday. He weighed 10lbs 11ozs, he was so big, and we were so proud of him. One year later on June 20th 1966, Margaret Lea McConnell was born. Margaret was born on father’s day. She was quite a bit smaller then Jerry, and had dark hair, and brown/green eyes like her father. She was real sweet and didn’t cry much. When she was two weeks old, I had to have my gall bladder taken out. This was very hard to go to the hospital, and leave both of my babies. Their grandmother and aunt took real good care of them for me.
We moved around a lot because of following construction work, but we always ended up back in Oklahoma. Shannon Marie McConnell was born on February 26 1971. It was about this time that Jerry and I started having problems. I just couldn’t believe it, we had such a nice family, but it only got worse. Jerry and I finally divorced in 1977.
I met Marvin R Turner and married him in July of 1977. We also moved around a lot. My favorite place that we moved was Seattle Washington. It was a beautiful place.
Jerry got killed in a car accident on October 16th 1980, and then my mother died on April 1st 1981. My father had already died on December 23rd 1967. After all this it seemed that I could never get my life back on a even keel. I was extremely unhappy. I just worked, took care of my kids, and took it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment