Uriah Green Dowdy was born in 1828 in Stewart county, Tennessee. He was the son of James G. Dowdy and Martha Milam. Uriah married Mary Jane Washburn on 5 March, 1847. Mary was born in Stewart county, in 1830. Her parents have not be confirmed at this time.
The 1850 Stewart county, census has 22 year old Uriah as a farmer and living with 20 year old wife Mary and two children, 2 year old Marcus and 1 year old Uriah.
1860, Stewart county TN, one 35 year old Uriah is a farmer with 100 acres. He has in his home 35 year old wife Jane, 12 year old son Marcus, 10 year old son James, 8 year old daughter Missouri, 6 year old son John, 5 year old son Robert, 4 year old daughter and my great great grandmother Frances and 1 year old daughter Alice. How sad that Uriah left such a large family with so many children who would never know their father.
Uriah was a volunteer in the 5oth Tennessee Infantry. Co. I. He was captured at Fort Donalson and taken as prisoner to Camp Douglas in Chicago,Illinois. Uriah could very well be one of the Confederate soldiers in the picture above if the date of the picture is correct. Uriah died in September of 1862 of pneumonia at Camp Douglas. His body is interred at the Confederate Mound in the Oak Woods Cemetery in Chicago, Illinois.
Uriah and Mary had 8 children. Mary would have been just pregnant with the youngest Rachel at the on set of the war.
The 1870 census has 44 year old Jane Dowdy living at the Cumberland Iron Works. She is noted as keeping house. The children in the home were: 16 year old John, a laborer, 14 year old Robert, a laborer, 12 year old Becky, 10 year old Alice and 8 year old Rachel.
According to the 1880 Stewart county census, son in law Robertson, daughter Francis and grandchildren Alexander and Cora Baggett are living with 54 year old Mary . They are living in district 6 surrounded by Baggett and Smith families.
The date of Mary death is unknown at this time.
Uriah and Mary's Children.
1. Marcus (Mark) Luke Dowdy b: 1848 Stewart county, TN. Married Mary E. Bryant 1 September 1869. Information on Mark will be posted soon.
2. Uriah James Dowdy b: 1849 Stewart county, TN
3. Missouri J. Dowdy b: 1852 Stewart county, TN. Married a Smith. Widowed by 1880. She is 25 and living with her brother John, 26 and his wife Sallie 18 and her children Cynthia 10, Mary 8, Henry 3 and Eliza 1.
4. John Dowdy b: 1854 Stewart county, TN. Married Sallie
5. Robert Dowdy b: 1855 Stewart county, Tn
6. Rebecca Francis Dowdy b: October, 1856 Stewart county, TN. Married Robertson Baggett. Died 5 March 1920.
7.Alice Dowdy b: 1859 Stewart county, TN
8. Rachel Dowdy b: 1862 Stewart county, TN