Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Songs My Mother Sung

When we were little and went on road trips, my mom would sing us songs or tell us story's or rhymes, whatever just to keep us entertained. This song here is a cowboy song that I absolutely love..

When The Works All Done Next Fall

VERSE 1
A jolly group of cowboys,Was talkin' one eve. One said, I'll tell you something If you will listen please. I am an ole cowpuncher. Here all dressed in rags. I used to be a tough one. Took on great big jags.

VERSE 2
But I left my home, boys. A good one you all know. Although I haven't seen it. Sometime ago I'm going back to Dixie Once more to see them all I'm going to see my Mother When the work's all done this fall

VERSE 3
When the roundup days 'er over An' the shippin' 'er all done I'm goin' home, boys Before my money is gone For I have my mine, boys To no more will I fall I'm going to see my Mother When the work's all done this fall

VERSE 4
O, when I left my home, boys My Mother, for me cried She begged me not to leave her For me she would have died My Mother's heart is breaking For me, that's all An' with God's help I'll see her When the work's all done this fall

VERSE 5
That very night that cowboy Went out to stand a guard Th night was dark an' stormy Cloudy an' stormin' very hard The cattle they got frightened An' rushed in a wild stampeed Th cowboy tried to head them While riding in full speed

VERSE 6
While riding in the darkness So loudly he did shout Tryin' his best to herd them Turn the cattle about His saddle horse stumbled An' on him, he did fall Poor boy won't see his Mother When the work's 'er done this fall

VERSE 7
Boys, send my Mother my wages The wages I have earned For I'm afraid, boys My last ride, I have done I'm going to a new ranch To hear my Master's call An' I won't see my Mother When the work's all done this fall

VERSE 8
Poor Charlie was buried at sunrise No tombstone at his head Nothing but a little board N' this is what it said Poor Charlie died a sun-day He died from a fall Poor boy won't see his Mother When the work's all done this fall

No comments:

Post a Comment